Software Engineer - Control Systems Job location:
Portchester, Hampshire Job code:
IMS20230703-98047 Applications will only be considered from applicants who are eligible to work in the UK.
L3Harris ASV are currently looking for Software Engineer specialising in Control Systems to join our rapidly expanding software and control systems team. Our team is responsible for developing a broad range of software solutions across a broad range of vehicles, technologies, and customer systems.
Control Systems specialists are responsible for developing software solutions that primarily relate to interfacing with hardware systems and their control. They work alongside other software engineers and integration engineers to design and develop overall solutions to meet customer needs, and frequently work very closely with integration engineers to bring up control systems for the first time. This role is especially varied and can include lots of customer interaction to really understand what the solution needs to be. Role responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Essential Skills / Qualifications / Experience:
- Design and specification of the software elements of the control systems used by L3Harris ASV.
- Software development in a Linux and/or Windows based environment using C, C++, Qt framework, Python or other appropriate languages and frameworks.
- Contribute to developing software interfaces and protocol libraries to integrate various hardware components.
- Software development for Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) using CoDeSys for hardware interfacing and control.
- Configuration management and version control of vessel configuration, in-line with Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) practices as far as practical.
- Production of design, test, handover, integration, and other technical documentation to agreed specifications.
- Participate in vessel integration activities, including factor, harbour, and sea acceptance trials.
- Work with customers, sales, system engineering and other appropriate areas to assist in defining and breaking down of detailed requirements.
- Dealing with the unique challenges that arise in the emerging area of autonomous boats.
- Contribute to wider software activities and programmes.
Desirable Skills / Qualifications / Experience:
- Practical development using C++ or another similar OO language.
- Use of Git or other similar version control system.
- Code Review using Gitlab or other similar system.
- Understands the software development lifecycle.
- Use of Jira or other similar issue-tracking systems.
- Use of Confluence or other similar wiki system.
Please can you let us know on your application your current notice period and salary expectations. About L3Harris ASV Portchester:
- Developing software in a Linux environment and working within Linux shells (primarily Bash) both locally and remotely.
- Exposure to hardware interfacing using RS232, CAN, Ethernet, or similar
- Understanding of Python development
- Familiarity with PLC programming or similar
- Familiarity with Qt
- Familiarity with Ansible
We are redefining the way the world works at sea with industry leading autonomous boat technology. We specialise in the design, manufacturing and operation of autonomous boats and control systems and as the maritime industry's autonomy partner of choice, we are powering the Royal Navy's adoption of autonomous surface vehicle (ASV) technology as well as delivering autonomous capability to UK ports and harbours and offshore energy service providers. We have delivered more than 100 ASV systems.
Our success is due to the people we employ; if you are smart, adaptable, highly productive, a team player and relish the challenge that comes with solving difficult problems then L3Harris ASV is for you. Agency information:
Any unsolicited CV to managers or staff will be sent at your own risk as we reserve the right to engage with candidates directly having not, in any way, entered into your company's Terms and Conditions of Contract. Job Profile Matching Criteria:
Expertise Engineering Location UK - England - Portchester