Engineering Manager - Front End
200 Grays Inn Road, London, WC1X 8XZ (Engineering Colleagues will be moving to ITV White City before end of Q2 2023)
Closing date: Wednesday 22nd March 2023
Why you should join us...
At ITV, we're not just transforming our business into a digital-first organisation. We're also transforming broadcasting by making our brilliant shows available wherever, whenever and however our audiences want to watch them. That's what our More than TV strategy is all about. And ITVX is right at the heart of it all. After the successful launch in Q4 2022, we are now looking to build upon this, continuously improving the experience and content available to our consumers.
Don't just watch it, be part of it...
Engineering Management Role & Department
Streaming is where we build, maintain and expand our ITVX app on connected TVs and web browsers. Our teams focus on building highly responsive, mobile-first front-end solutions, utilising the ReactJS and Next.js Frameworks, for the Video-On-Demand, Catch-Up, and Live Streaming markets in the UK.
Our platforms serve millions of hours of content to 40 million customers, across connected TV, web, and mobile.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who is able to help nurture and grow the Streaming Technology engineering organisation. The role has technical aspects but primarily focuses on a people-first approach to ensuring we're delivering at our best by developing our teams, our engineers, and the processes that empower them.
Engineering Managers will work across our multidisciplinary department to foster alignment and shared understanding but are expected to specialise in Front End for this specific role.
The ideal candidate will be a smart, kind, and empathic person with an enthusiasm for software development, architecture, and programming. You will have previously been an engineer/developer at a reasonably senior level, having worked in a number of environments and business types.
Above all, you will be excited about helping people achieve their best, and be motivated by the reward of seeing your teams succeed. This role is a fantastic opportunity to help shape one of the fastest moving, highest growth, and strategically important areas of ITV.
- Support and coaching Front End Engineers, advocating best practices
- Champion developer autonomy, mastery, and purpose
- Organising individual and team training opportunities
- Lead and grow/develop the relevant Communities of practice
- Line management - including matrix management of Engineers
- Coaching and advising on career development
- Mediating discussions both interpersonal and technical
- Assisting with all aspects of the graduate scheme
- Responsible for recruitment activities
- Manage and design our on-call and support processes
- Assisting with team organisation, structuring, and staff rotation
- Adding engineering capacity without being on the critical path to delivery
- Worked at a Senior level as a programmer, preferably in Front End Technologies. This implies a good understanding of:
- Testing practices
- Service/system performance
- Build, test, and deployment pipelines
- DevOps / platform engineering
- Agile delivery experience and a demonstrable understanding of the concepts and trade-offs, and how they impact engineers on the ground.
- Demonstrable experience in leading or managing a small team of engineers (Growth, personal development, working practices, time management etc)
- Ability or experience of promoting an open, considerate and diverse engineering culture
ITV strongly encourages applications for this role from candidates with a disability and as a Disability Confident Leader if you meet the minimum criteria for a role and you have declared that you have a disability, we'll guarantee you'll get to the next stage*. (minimum criteria above)
- Stakeholder management experience.
- Experience training or coaching on an individual and/or group level.
- Experience with recruitment and interviewing
- Experience of working on inclusion programmes for Engineering
- Ability to look at a business process, assess it's value, and propose/ articulate suitable alternatives.
- High-quality presentation and communication skills.
What we can offer
We offer a competitive salary and 5 weeks' holiday on top of public holidays, plus the option to buy more. Other benefits include annual bonus plan, life assurance cover, and interest-free season-ticket loans, an opportunity to buy ITV shares, and the chance to join pension, health insurance, childcare vouchers and cycle to work schemes.
We continually invest in our staff, and we offer a range of training and development including in-house and external courses, and attendance at conferences and events.
We're happy to discuss any support/personalisation you may need during our application process as part of our reasonable adjustments approach. So we encourage you to get in touch with us if you require anything... our email is email@example.com. Find out more here
Find out more about our benefits http://www.itvjobs.com/why-join-us/benefits/
We want to be the most flexible employer in Media. We offer Smart working and we will support you and provide you the right environment and work/ life balance
We reach millions of people everyday, that's why having diverse talents and being an organisation where colleagues feel included is crucial to us. We have various networks that celebrate and support our colleagues. We try to embed an inclusive mindset in everything we do. Find out more here
* There may be a few exceptions where we are not able to take all eligible candidates to the next stage due to the volume of applications.