You Lead the Way. We've Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you'll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that's unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you'll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact-every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company's success. Together, we'll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world's best customer experience every day. And we'll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers' digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex.
The Modern Money Movement initiative is an exciting opportunity to solve complex challenges and to build a novel Platform that is going to power the next generation of Amex financial products. We are a team of entrepreneurial disruptors with a great FinTech Engineering culture at the forefront of innovation in the industry. We are building amazing GraphQL and APIs, intelligent payment routing decision engines, an ISO20022 framework, AI/ML driven data pipelines, and fluid integrators with Global Payment Infrastructure and the banking system. Our team is responsible for mission critical customer journeys, including "Pay your Amex Bill," "Plan your Payment" and "Get a Loan." Our goal is to decouple our assets, such as our ACH engine and bank validation, and make it easy for others in the company to build world class customer experiences.
We are looking for Engineers that are open-minded, willing to learn, and passionate about building great software. As we decide if an Engineer is a fit for our team, we will not focus solely on experience or languages used, but the ability to think out of the box and approach problems with a clever mindset. We are influenced by The Twelve-Factor App principles, and we have picked modern ergonomic languages that maximize productivity and readability, i.e., modern JVM: Quarkus/Micronaut with Kotlin and lightweight Go command tools. Architecture is event driven microservices leveraging Kafka, and our polyglot-persistence includes Postgres and Cassandra.
How will you make an impact in this role?
- Build software as part of a nimble agile Team where you have every opportunity to make an impact on the bottom line and contribute to the architecture
- Ensure our infrastructure is safely extensible, scalable, reliable and meets SLAs for both external and internal users
- Create a brand for our platform composed of amazing APIs, Developer Portal, Tutorials and SDKs
- Ensure our solutions are testable, intuitive, and easy to maintain
- Use state of the art tools for remote collaboration and developer happiness, i.e., IntelliJ CodeWithMe and Tuple
- Participate in design and code reviews for key components and cross Enterprise initiatives
- Experience in backend reactive programming languages: Java 8+ and/or Kotlin
- Proven track record developing lightweight reactive microservices: Vert.x, Quarkus, Micronaut or Spring Boot
- Deep understanding of event driven architecture and messaging: Kafka, webhooks, asynchronous API design
- Experience with PostgreSQL or equivalent relational databases
- Have experience working as an individual contributor as part of a cross functional agile team. Experience in FinTech is a massive plus
- Have proven experience in supporting mission critical platforms with high levels of availability and service continuity
- Have solid experience in cloud-based architecture and distributed systems
- Have exceptional written and communication skills and have the ability to express dissenting opinions in a constructive manner
- Self-directed and able to work on an ambiguous environment through the innovation process
- Care about learning and being open minded about switching approaches and experimenting
- Value collaboration and put the Team interests always above self
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
To complete your application, please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org