Science and Technology Facilities Council Salary:
2 X Band D £31,931 - £34,709 & 1 X Band E £39,748 - £44,166 per annum* (dependent on skills and experience) Hours:
Full-Time Contract Type:
Fixed-Term (3 Years) Location:
Science and Technology Facilities Council, Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington
*This role is eligible for up to £1,000 Responsibility and Retention Allowance gross per annum
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. And, alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives, and daily life, in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come and discover the impact you can make when you're equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best. The Hartree Centre:
At the Hartree Centre, we want to see UK businesses outperforming their global competitors. We want to grow the economy, create skilled jobs and train people to excel in them. Most of all, we want to keep the UK at the forefront of industrial innovation. We're making all this happen and more by enabling UK industry to fully embrace and integrate the latest digital and cognitive technologies.
We provide collaborative research, innovation and development services that accelerate the application of high-performance computing (HPC), data analytics and artificial intelligence technologies. By working with us, businesses and research partners can gain a competitive advantage that enables them to produce better outcomes, products and services more quickly and cheaply than through conventional R&D.
We have a technically exciting computing environment, encompassing a wide range of hardware and software technologies. Reasons our staff enjoy working for us:
- Our state-of-the-art Sci-Tech Daresbury campus is lively and dynamic, co-locating many innovative tech SMEs and multi-disciplinary sci-tech collaborations.
- Located in a picturesque semi-rural location with easy access to canal-side and woodland walking.
- A hybrid working culture to enable the optimum combination of collaborative and focused working environments.
- Career development is important to us. You will have the ability to shape your learning and development to grow your career to encompass your own distinctive area of expertise, to match your goals and the centres.
- An excellent benefits package including a generous pension scheme with employer contributions of up to 26% with 30 days annual leave plus 10.5 public and privilege days.
- High profile collaborations with organisations such as IBM Research, Unilever, AstraZeneca, and Airbus.
Are you looking to use the very latest open-source software technologies to build high-quality proof of concept applications, services, and tools in a role with career prospects, extensive benefits, and learning & development that is second to none, then this is the job for you.
We're looking for Software Engineers to join the Hartree Centre to help UK businesses and organisations of any size adopt advanced computing to increase their productivity, innovation, and economic growth.
Hartree Centre experts collaborate with a range of industries and research communities to exploit the latest digital technologies, to upskill teams, and to develop innovative solutions for societal and economic benefit. By joining our team, you will benefit from our friendly and collaborative culture and will be exposed to the very latest and emerging technologies including Data Engineering & Analytics, HPC, AI, Cloud, IoT/Edge, and Web/Mobile. While we are serious about industry-relevant results, we make sure the journey is exciting and enjoyable, priding ourselves on being open, innovative, and welcoming to new ideas and approaches. Backed by significant UK government funding and strategic partnerships with industry leaders such as IBM, Atos, and universities. Hartree is well-established and currently in an exciting phase of expansion across our teams and technology areas - as well as being home to some of the most advanced digital technologies and experts in the UK. Responsibilities Include:
Additional responsibilities for Band E:
- Researching business needs and building new applications, tools & services
- Maintaining interest in the application of cutting-edge software technology in a wide range of domains
- Writing well structured, tested, readable and maintainable code in small agile teams
- Participating in code reviews, refactoring, and presenting your work in knowledge exchange sessions
- Deploying and scaling applications using CI/CD and managing your work using Git & agile processes
- Creating high-quality documentation, reports, case studies, and web content
- Assisting our Business Development team to build new relationships and opportunities
- Assisting with case analysis, requirements capture, and project planning
- Supporting your colleagues by continuing to learn and grow
We are looking for candidates with experience in some or all of the following:
- Acting as technical lead through the full project lifecycle
- Line management responsibility for up to 3 team members
- A degree or equivalent experience in a computer-related discipline or applied domain.
- A background in applied software engineering in business or academic sectors.
- Software development on the Linux OS with at least two general-purpose programming languages.
- Experience in one of: web & enterprise apps, data engineering, containerisation & workflows, applied ML/AI, parallel software development e.g., MPI, OpenMP, GPU.
- Knowledge of good coding practices and standards.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, with ability to build rapport and develop relationships as an effective team player.
You will also have a genuine passion for software engineering and technology. Additional criteria for the Band E role are:
- Ability to scope and construct project work plans and deliver against them
- Experience in line management/coaching of junior developers
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world.
Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business-support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.About The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
As one of Europe's largest research organisations, we ask the biggest questions in the universe to find answers that change the world around us. We seek understanding. We're proud of the impact we make. And we're committed to helping build a globally competitive, knowledge-based UK economy. Being part of all this means contributing to work that pushes boundaries and creates possibilities. You'll work with, and learn from, true experts. Whatever your role, you'll be free to question, and encouraged to share ideas. And, in a positive and supportive culture, you'll discover just what a difference you can make when you're equipped and inspired to excel.
We're a place where curious minds thrive. Not bound by profit, we explore ideas that others don't, ask questions that others won't, and discover answers that others are not equipped to find. And, alongside Mars landings and black holes, we also explore diverse, international projects in everything from science and engineering to computing and technology. Whether it's at the cutting edge or behind the scenes, our work is intellectually challenging. It's very often ground-breaking. And it's endlessly, irresistibly fascinating.
For more information about STFC please visit https://stfc.ukri.org/
You can also visit our careers site https://www.stfccareers.co.uk/ About UK Research Innovation (UKRI)
UKRI is an organisation that brings together the seven disciplinary research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. Together, we build an independent organisation with a strong voice and vision ensuring the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Supporting some of the world's most exciting and challenging research projects, we develop and operate some of the most remarkable scientific facilities in the world. We are pushing the frontiers of human knowledge through fundamental research and delivering benefits for UK society and the economy through world-class research, skills and business-led innovation.
More information can be found at www.ukri.org.
Choosing to come to work at UKRI means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a defined benefit pension scheme, excellent holiday entitlement, access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme. For more details, visit benefits of working for UKRI. How we support EDI in the workforce
At UKRI, we believe that everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be provided with equal opportunities to thrive and succeed in an environment that enables them to do so. We also value diversity of thought and experience within inclusive groups, organisations and the wider community. For further information, please visit 'How we support EDI in the workforce'. Disability Confident Employer
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. How to apply
Online applications only preferred for this role. Please submit a CV and covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation for UKRI and the role. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit an application without a covering letter may result in the application not being considered. Assessment will only be based upon the content of your submitted covering letter and CV and not the 'experience' section of the application.
UKRI seeks to ensure it creates and maintains a system of openness, fairness and inclusion - a collaborative, trusted environment, which is attractive to and accessible to everyone who is interested in developing their career with us.
- Organisation: Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) - Hartree Centre
- Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
- External Closing Date: Jun 11, 2023
- Minimum Salary: Pound Sterling (GBP) 31,931
- Hours: Full-time